The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) assists families with energy costs in the summer and winter months. CMCA helps more than 9,000  mid-Missouri families annually by restoring or maintaining their utilities through LIHEAP.

There are two components of LIHEAP —Energy Assistance (EA) and  Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP). The benefit amount is based on your household size, household income, and the type of energy source used in the home.

We serve the following counties only: Audrain, Boone, Callaway, Cole, Cooper, Howard, Moniteau, and Osage. If you do not reside in one of these counties, please review the application cover page (see below at Additional Documents) for the appropriate Agency in your area to apply.

Energy Assistance Line

To check the status of your Energy Assistance request, call (573) 200-6655, option 1. 
If you are without power or soon to be without power, call (573) 200-6655, option 2.

Energy Assistance Dates

Disabled and elderly (age 60 or older) households may submit their applications as early as October 1, although the program does not officially begin until November 1.

For all other households, the program begins December 1, and applications will be accepted beginning November 1.

Please Note: Payments or pledges will not be made until after the new program start dates.

LIHEAP Program Components

Energy Assistance (EA)
EA is a one-time payment for heating or cooling costs from October – May. It can only be awarded to the primary utility company you list on your application. Maximum benefit depends on fuel type.

  • Electric – $318
  • Natural Gas – $326
  • Fuel Oil – $326
  • Wood – $219
  • Tank Propane – $495
  • Cylinder Propane – $177
  • Kerosene – $153

Emergency Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP)
ECIP pays the total amount due on your account, rounded to the nearest dollar, only if you are past due on your account, or currently without services. Your account much be active. The maximum benefit amount is:

  • Winter (Nov. – May): $800
  • Summer (June – Sept.): $600


LIHEAP Frequently Asked Questions

As the Energy Assistance program applications detail, households that apply for assistance should continue to pay on their bill to avoid disconnection. All requests are processed in the order they were received, by account status.

EA stands for Energy Assistance.This is the one time a year, lump sum, benefit amount applied to your primary supplier as indicated on your LIHEAP application. The benefit amount varies based on the fuel source for your household (i.e. electric, gas, propane, etc). You must be approved for this amount before you qualify for any additional assistance. 

Refer to the DSS website for more information.

ECIP stands for Emergency Crisis Intervention Program. This refers to the Winter/Summer benefit amounts that are in addition to the EA benefit amounts. You must be approved for the EA benefit before you qualify for these additional funds. You must submit a copy of your utility bill each time you request assistance through this program as ECIP will only pledge on the balance due at the time your request is

  • This is not an automatic utility bill pay program, nor is there an account set up for each household. The funds from the Winter season (November 1 – May 31) do NOT carry over
    to the summer season (June 1 – September 30).
  • Funds do not carry over from one program year (November – September) to the next. Refer to the DSS website for more information.

LIHEAP stands for Low Income Housing Energy Assistance Program.

To qualify for LIHEAP assistance, the following requirements must be met:

  • Be responsible for paying home heating and cooling costs.
  • Be a United States citizen, or have been legally admitted for permanent residence.
  • Have $3,000 or less in bank accounts, retirement accounts, or investments.
  • Meet specific income guidelines that vary according to household size and fuel type.

    Household size – Monthly income
    1 –  $2,370
    2 – $3,099
    3 – $3,829
    4 – $4,558
    5 – $5,287
    6 – $6,016
  1. Some of the operations of this application are limited to Adobe Acrobat software and limitations of using PDF formatting.
  2. You may complete the application on your phone; however, you will need to have Acrobat Reader fillable forms on IOS.
  3. Once you click the submit button, you must save the completed LIHEAP application to your computer or phone.  After saving the application, you will proceed to a page where you’ll be asked to attach the application and other documents.
  4. The submitted LIHEAP application will send an encrypted email with the application and any attachments to the agency based on the county the applicant selected. If an application is received from a customer that does not reside in a county serviced by that agency, the application will be sent to the agency that provides assistance for the county were the applicant resides.

Online application – English
Solicitud en línea – español

Mail/Drop off to CMCA Boone Resource Center at 800 N Providence Rd Columbia MO 65203.
Fax to 573-370-1212

**Electronic communications to CMCA outside of DSS online will not be accepted**

  • To check the status of your application, call (573) 200-6655, option 1.
  • If you need additional assistance, call (573) 200-6655, option 2 and follow the prompts carefully.

Standard processing time takes about 30-45 business days when we have all required information submitted with the application. If there is additional information needed, it can cause delays in processing.

  • The LIHEAP program runs from November 1 through September 30 for elderly/disabled applicants. It runs December 1 through September 30 for general public applicants.
  • Every household must apply for assistance one time a year, every year. Should any
    information change during the same year you have originally applied, you will be asked to submit a new application.
  • Should your original application be denied, you must submit a whole new completed application with all necessary documents again.

When anything changes from the original application you submitted, i.e.

  • Your address changes
  • Your account number changes
  • If your previous application was denied
  • Someone moves in/out of your household
  • Your utility company changes
  • When your legal name changes or bill holder name changes, and more.

Charges that are applied to your utility bill that the LIHEAP program funds cannot cover, such as water, sewer, trash, etc.

  • Energy Assistance (EA) one time annual payment can cover any fees that are included in your bill.
  • ECIP (energy crisis) funds can cover reconnect fees, late fees, deposits, tank (pressure) tests, off-route delivery fees, rental fees, tank pick-up/removal fees, and sole energy costs. ECIP cannot pay any water, storm water, sewer, or trash fees.

Refer to page 5 of the LIHEAP application that lists all the documents required to process your application.

  • You must submit a completed application, including written Social Security numbers for ALL household members on Part 2 of the application, as well as copies of your utility bills.

  • Refer to page 5 of the LIHEAP application. You will find a list of documents needed for processing the application, even for those who are actively receiving food stamps.

If your entire household is attesting to receiving no income at all, please complete the Low Income Interview Guide.
Form located under “LIHEAP documents.”

It is required that all utility bills are in the name of at least one household member who is
listed on the application. If not, contact your utility provider to update the name on the account.

  • If the bill is in a landlord’s name and you pay your utilities in your rent, or to your landlord directly, provide the Landlord/Renter Documentation Form to your landlord to complete.
    Form located under “LIHEAP Documents.”
  • Once your landlord has completed the form, attach  to your LIHEAP application before submitting.
  • Households that have their utilities included in their rental payment are not eligible for ECIP assistance.

Each utility company has a different webpage, however there should always be a link or “View your bill” option on your account login page. Once that PDF is downloaded, you can print and mail/fax it into CMCA.

NOTE: Screenshots of text notices that are received will not be accepted. It MUST be a copy of the actual utility bill.

Step 1- You must mail, drop off, or fax your disconnect notice.
Step 2- call (573) 200-6655 and follow the prompts carefully to request escalated processing and review.

Step 1- You must mail, drop off, or fax your disconnect notice.
Step 2- call the Emergency Utility Assistance Line at 573-200-6655 and follow the prompts carefully to request escalated processing and review.

Please read the letter carefully to learn what is needed by the Energy Department to process your request. If you still have questions about what documentation is required, call (573) 200-6655 to request assistance with what is needed to continue processing your application.

The main form of communication from the CMCA Energy Assistance Department will be via letter following the State program requirements.

All appointments must be requested  at (573) 200-6655  and scheduled in the order they are received if requests are approved.

Appointments scheduled are at the discretion of CMCA representatives upon the nature of the request.

NOTE: Appointments may be scheduled in conjunction with referrals to other programs offered by CMCA and will only apply to those household circumstances that are outside standard operating procedure; for example, the applicant has physical challenges in completing an application, requested assistance with another program, has a question on the information request they received from the CMCA Energy Assistance Department, etc.

If for any reason you need additional (utility or otherwise) assistance that the LIHEAP department cannot provide please refer to other county resources at: 
https://sites.google.com/a/showmeaction.org/central-missouri-community-actionarea- resource-guide for more timely assistance.

Once you submit your application and required documents, your application will be reviewed within approximately 30 business days (unless it is considered a crisis for LIHEAP). A letter will be mailed to you that tells you if you qualify for help and the amount you get. 

After you apply, please continue to pay your utility bills if you can so you do not get disconnected or run out of fuel such as propane, wood, or pre-paid electric. The LIHEAP agency is not responsible for your utility bill.

Documents To Download

Landlord Form

Have your landlord fill out this form completely if utilities are included in your rent OR your utility bills are listed in your landlord’s name. Attach this form when submitting the LIHEAP application.

LIHEAP Application

Complete this application and submit it with any necessary documentation as outlined on the application itself.

Employment Wage Verification Form

Have your employer complete this form in place of paystubs if your official paystubs are unavailable. Turn it in as proof of income with the LIHEAP application.

Employment Wage Verification Form

Have your employer complete this form IN PLACE OF paystubs if your official paystubs are unavailable. Turn it in as proof of income with the LIHEAP application.

Low Income Interview Guide

Fill out this form and submit with your application if the ENTIRE HOUSEHOLD (all household members over 18 years old) does not claim any income for the month prior to submitting the LIHEAP application.

The application must be mailed in or dropped off at the 
CMCA Energy Office located at:

800 N. Providence Rd.
Columbia, MO 65203

Fax# – 1-573-370-1212

Please note: 

Due to the high volume of applications, response times related to applications may be delayed. 

Should you need to submit any information for a pending application or a new application, please mail, or drop off your documents to the below address:
CMCA Energy Assistance
800 North Providence Rd
Columbia, MO 65203

Utility Assistance Line - 1-573-200-6655